San Francisco Train Accidents Attorneys
Our Fierce & Experienced Legal Team Will Advocate for You
Each year, train accidents result in hundreds of deaths and thousands of injuries all over the United States. Sadly, the vast majority of devastating train accidents are entirely preventable. Although train operators must adhere to various regulations and rely on controlled signals, switches, crossings, and other measures to reduce the risk of serious injury and accidents, there are countless circumstances in which an operator or railroad company’s negligence can result in serious injury or wrongful death.
Were you or a loved one severely injured in a train accident involving BART, Amtrak, Metrolink, Caltrain, or another high-profile rail system? If so, please reach out to our compassionate and accomplished personal injury lawyers at Scarlett Law Group for reliable and practical legal guidance. The laws for whether you can file a lawsuit are very different depending on whether you were a passenger on a Metrolink train, or if you were a railroad worker. We can provide an honest assessment of your situation to determine the best option for recovering fair compensation for your damages.
To speak with one of our team members in San Francisco, please call (415) 688-2176 or fill out our convenient online form.
What Are the Common Causes of Train Accidents?
The following are some of the common causes of train accidents that can result in death or catastrophic injuries:
- The operator was under the influence of drugs, alcohol, or other illicit substances
- Reckless pedestrians and drivers
- Defective railroad tracks
- Stalled vehicles on the track
- Exceeding speed limits
- Mechanical failure
- Human error
- Objects on the tracks
- Inspection and maintenance violations
- Unprotected railroad crossings
Who Can Be Sued for a Train Accident?
Proving liability is the most difficult, but essential, aspect of any personal
injury or wrongful death case.
In order for the claim to be successful, you must prove that the at-fault party (or parties) owed you a duty of care and breached that duty of care, which caused your injury or other losses.
Parties that can be held liable for train accidents include:
- The company that owns or operates the railcars, trains, and other equipment
- The company that employed a worker who lacked the necessary qualifications, training, or supervision
- The company that manufactured defective train parts which contributed to the wreck
- Drivers of other vehicles who left the vehicle on the track and caused an accident
What To Do If You Are Involved In a Train Accident?
The actions and things you say following a train wreck can have a major impact on the outcome of your injury or wrongful death claim. Insurance companies and defendants will vigorously search for reasons to dispute liability and damages in these types of cases.
Taking the following steps after a train accident will give your claim the best chance of resulting in a fair settlement:
- If you are seriously injured, immediately seek medical attention
- Write down everything you remember about the accident, including whether the brakes were employed before the collision, the location of the accident, and the weather conditions
- Request the contact information from all witnesses at the accident scene
- Take photos of the accident scene and any injuries that were sustained
- Do not speak to the insurance company or rail company without your train accident lawyer’s permission
- Even if you don’t believe you suffered injuries in the accident, visit a doctor immediately and follow all of their treatment instructions
- Contact a seasoned train accident lawyer as soon as possible to discuss the details of your case
Can I Pursue Compensation for a TBI Sustained in a Train Accident?
Our tenacious lawyers at Scarlett Law Group are renowned for their exceptional ability to recover maximum compensation for clients who sustained traumatic brain injuries (TBI) as a result of devastating train accidents. Our firm is well-equipped to handle all train accident cases involving traumatic brain injury.
We know firsthand that TBI injuries can cause lifelong physical, cognitive, social, and vocational difficulties. That is why our compassionate lawyers work diligently to provide high-quality legal support and guidance to clients who suffered TBI in railroad-related accidents.
Treating a TBI after a train accident can require diagnostic testing, drugs, surgery, and rehabilitation. even long after the initial train accident, survivors with TBI can require a full team of caregivers for their day-to-day needs. Additionally, many TBI survivors also need to frequently see professionals like neurologists, neurosurgeons, physiatrists, vocational experts, life-care planners, and physical, occupational, and speech therapists who can help them comprehend and overcome the various challenges of living with a TBI.
Contact Scarlett Law Group today if you or a loved one experienced a brain injury due to a train accident so that we can leverage our decades of combined experience to fiercely advocate for your rights and the maximum amount of compensation you are entitled to under the law.
Please give us a call today at (415) 688-2176 or schedule your free case consultation online using our convenient form.