San Francisco Catastrophic Injury Attorney
Serious Injuries Require Serious Representation
When an individual sustains a catastrophic injury, that person and his or her family will undoubtedly face a wide range of medical expenses, costly therapy appointments, physical suffering, emotional distresses, and more. For this reason, it is absolutely crucial that the victim and their family seek experienced legal help from an highly-trained and well-versed personal injury lawyer. At Scarlett Law Group, our experienced attorneys can examine the various details of your case and determine who should be held liable for damages. From there, we can help you file a personal injury claim in order to pursue maximum financial compensation for you and your family.
If you or a loved one suffered severe injuries in an accident, contact Scarlett Law Group today. We will provide you with a free consultation.
What Constitutes A Catastrophic Injury?
There is no legal definition of what "catastrophic" means, an injury that qualifies as catastrophic if it is very serious by nature, requires a long recovery process or results in permanent injuries. For example, a broken or fractured bone can be a catastrophic injury because the recovery process can be so extensive even though the injury is not permanent. An injury can also be classified as catastrophic if it greatly impacts the injury victim's way of life, such as a brain injury that inhibits an individuals ability to work.
Causes of Catastrophic Injuries
Catastrophic injuries can result from any type of accident imaginable. Some of the most common are:
- Medical negligence
- Defective products
- Truck accidents
- Car accidents
- Construction accidents
- Environmental disasters
- Toxic exposure
- Premises liability
- Aviation disasters
- Nautical accidents
- Work-related accidents
What Damages are Available in Catastrophic Injury Cases?
In California there are three types of damages available in catastrophic injury cases
- Special: Also called non-economic damages, special damages compensate for more abstract suffering such as pain and suffering or mental anguish
- General: General damages, or economic damages, compensate for the expenses incurred from the injury or accident itself such as medical bills, loss of earning, and household expenses.
- Punitive: Punitive damages are awarded in only a small number of cases. The purpose of which is to punish the negligent party. They are often reserved in cases of severe negligent, fraud or intentional harm.
Future Medical Care Costs for Catastrophic Injuries
Medical care cost growth rates have historically increased over the decades. Proper presentation of past and future care expenses, as well as wage and other economic loss in catastrophic injury cases, requires the assistance of various experts. Moreover, once an adequate award has been obtained, special needs trusts and other devices must be utilized in order to protect a plaintiff’s ability to survive.
Catastrophic injury attorneys often rely on the following experts to improve their clients’ cases:
- Forensic economists: The careful calculation of pecuniary damages in a catastrophic injury case may require a forensic economist’s specialization. They are equipped accurately to piece together both known damages and all damages predicted, as well as a fair amount of noneconomic damages.
- Life care planners: Someone living with a catastrophic injury will likely need a caregiver to assist them through a variety of day-to-day tasks unique to their lifestyle and situation. Life care planners can be brought to help with the injury case to better understand what level and kids of caregiving will be necessary and for how long.
- Vocational rehabilitation specialists: In addition to the challenges of daily life and necessary tasks, a person with a catastrophic injury may have lost psychological, developmental, and emotional functioning. A vocation rehabilitation specialist can assist them in regaining or refining those lessened skills and abilities. Patients with severe injuries may need ongoing vocational rehabilitation.
If you or a loved one has sustained a catastrophic injury, an experienced lawyer is required. Given today’s healthcare marketplace, the future care costs facing anyone sustaining a catastrophic personal injury are staggering. Frankly, just the presentation of these damages alone will cause jury alienation unless counsel is competent and effective in his/her presentation.
If you or someone you love has suffered a severe injury, you need the assistance of the Scarlett Law Group. Call (415) 688-2176 today to speak with our catastrophic injury attorneys in San Francisco.