5 Steps to Take After a Serious Truck Accident
A collision involving a commercial truck is very different compared to your average car accident. Not only can truck drivers be held liable for any injuries, but so can the trucking company which employs them.
Truck drivers and their companies adhere to specific regulations that are recognized statewide and on a federal level. If these regulations are violated, you might be entitled to recover more in your truck accident claim.
However, it is imperative to know what to do after you were involved in a truck accident to ensure you obtain monetary damages to cover medical expenses, loss of income, as well as pain and suffering from your injury.
The following are five steps to take after a serious truck accident:
- Look for serious injuries and check to see if your passengers are okay. The highest priority of any accident is to seek immediate medical attention if serious injuries are evident. Check yourself and other people for injuries right away.
- Contact law enforcement. Filing an accident report with police is crucial because it can be used as evidence later on.
- Contact your insurance company and file a report. Review your policy before you call to ensure you understand your coverage first. Remember, only disclose the important aspects of the accident and not every single detail that could result in admitting fault. Insurance providers are looking for ways to reduce your payments or deny your claim altogether.
- Document the scene. Take pictures of the accident by using your cellphone or digital camera. Make sure to snap photos of the damage to both cars (inside and outside), the road conditions, street signs, and the surrounding area to paint the clearest picture possible. Don’t be afraid to take as many pictures as you can.
- Contact your lawyer. Accidents with commercial trucks are often complex since multiple parties are involved. An attorney that specializes in truck accidents will understand the unique circumstances of this type of personal injury claim.
At Scarlett Law Group, we understand what it takes to help you recover your entitled compensation. With more than 25 years of experience, our San Francisco truck accident lawyer has successfully won millions in settlements and verdicts on behalf of our clients.
Contact us and request a consultation today.