The United Way of Summit County Volunteer Center recruits and supplies volunteers to area nonprofit agencies
The United Way of Summit County Volunteer Center recruits and supplies volunteers to area nonprofit agencies.
For details about these and other volunteer opportunities, contact the Volunteer Center, 90 N. Prospect St., Akron, at 330-762-7601, Ext. 5512, between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. weekdays, or online at www.uwsummit.org.
The following organizations need volunteers:
• Akron Aeros: Volunteers wanted May 3, 4, 16 and 17 for annual Education Days. Free admission to morning game(s) and lunch. Minimum age: 16.
• Akron Community Service Center & Urban League: Volunteers wanted weekdays to provide data entry for Development Center. Minimum age: 18; 16 with adult supervision.
• Ballinger TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) Clubhouse: Seeking experienced volunteers to help with board development and training. Minimum age: 21.
• Career Nurse Assistants Program: Seeking experienced volunteer on a flexible basis to prepare quarterly newsletters. Minimum age: 18.
• Catholic Social Services: Volunteers wanted to pick up food orders, restock pantry and pack food bags. Minimum age: 14; 8 with adult supervision.
• Crown Point Ecology Center: Volunteers needed Saturday, May 20, to help with annual plant sale. Minimum age: 17.
• Destiny Performing Arts Academy: Volunteers wanted to help youth with creative writings. Minimum age: 18.
• Keep Akron Beautiful: Volunteers wanted for annual “Clean Up Akron Week,” 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., April 29-May 5; 9 a.m. to noon Super Saturday, May 6. Minimum age: 18; younger with adult supervision and waiver.
• Mobile Meals, Inc.: Volunteers wanted weekdays to help with office/clerical needs. Minimum age: 18.
• OASIS: Volunteers wanted to welcome guests, perform computer data entry and other office duties. Minimum age: 25.
• Portage Path Behavioral Health: Volunteers wanted to answer crisis-intervention/suicide-prevention hot line. Eight-week training begins April 25. Minimum age: 18.
• Project: LEARN of Summit County: Volunteers wanted to work with students and parents with completing homework assignments. Minimum age: 15.
• Rebuilding Together, Summit County: Volunteers wanted to answer/direct phones calls and help with mailings. Minimum age: 18; 15 with adult supervision.
• Salvation Army, Summit County: Volunteers wanted to pack food bags Thursdays or Fridays. Minimum age: 14; 12 with adult supervision.
• Stewart’s Caring Place: Volunteers wanted to answer phones, welcome and direct visitors, gather information and give tours. Minimum age: 16.
• Weathervane Community Playhouse: Volunteers wanted to answer phones and take reservations. Minimum age: 21.
• Muscular Dystrophy Association: Needs summer camp volunteers to help young people with neuromuscular diseases June 18-24 at Camp Cheerful in Strongsville. Daily activities include helping the person eat, bathe, dress, and in recreational activities such as arts and crafts, swimming and horseback riding. Minimum age: 16 and able to lift and care for a young person between ages 6-21. For an application, call the MDA office in Akron at 330-374-0074 or 800-572-1717. More information is available at www.mdausa.org/clinics/camp/index.cfm.